Thursday, 7 June 2007

The Ones That Didn't Make It

Well I’ve made it as far as Kuala Lumpar (actually I’m cheating as I wrote this at Heathrow - WAP network in lounge was soooo painfully slow that after 10 mins I got fed up trying to access email containing the rejected shoes for this entry). I managed to close the suitcase and keep it under 20kg which is a huge shock. Unfortunately I didn’t get to bring as much as I’d hoped in the way of shoes, clothes and coats :-( By COB Mon evening I knew that the blue short jacket was out. By COB Tues evening the green sweater was out. But this biggest shock was this morning (eh, that's Weds morning). I had actually managed to close the case last night so I felt that surely adding in some toiletries like makeup and cleansers and shampoo and conditioner etc etc would be a pinch. But OH NO!!! No matter how I tried it my spare book (this means the only other book than one in hand luggage) wouldn’t fit! This was serious. I mean yes I can buy books down there (but they‘re strangely expensive in NZ) but what, just what if I finished my current read during a sleepless first night or something. I CAN NOT be bookless. It just doesn’t happen. I looked at the blue shoes and thought “if I just take them out…“ But no, I thought , eefa, it’s time to grow up. You will be okay if you don’t have a book for a few hours. Be strong. Bite the bullet and close the case. So I did. And my God was I proud of myself. And, eh, well I really wanted to bring the shoes as well. You see the real problem was being caused by the boots (and yes I know I could have worn them but I had no intention of wearing a pair of knee high boots under my trackie bottoms for 36 hrs!). So, I put the suitcase in the hall. Another 3 hrs to kill before taxi arrives so I got on with other stuff. Later during lunch I looked at the book on the couch. Alone. Sad because it was going to miss out on a trip to NZ. And I couldn’t do it. It killed me but I persuaded myself that I could live without the shoes for 3 weeks (I don’t even wear them that much it’s just that they look so good with my dress!) So the shoes are now back in the wardrobe being consoled by the other shoes on what might have been. But the book’s happy!



Bizarre, experience in LHR. I can only guess that this is yet another new security feature. I landed at Terminal 1 from Dublin. Followed ye olde Flight Connection signs to get turned away. They wouldn’t let me through as I didn’t have boarding pass (normally just pick that up in terminal 3)! It’s apparently okay that my luggage is checked through to New Zealand but we can’t have dodgy Irish person going through without pass. Instead I had to walk to Terminal 3, queue, and go through security all over again (thank God for security Fast Track!)

As for flight itself, 'twas grand. Watched The Queen (good), watched an episode of House (they have a whole series that I haven't seen!!!), listened to some Jazz (must get that Best of Blue Note album it's great!) and chatted to my neighbour; a Malaysian woman and if I have skin like hers at the age of 70 I'll be more than happy! And at this point I've waffled on for too long so I'll finish up.

5 comments:

Mormoltier said...

Love the shoes Eef (that book must have been really good to lose out to those shoes), real dolly mormoltier style shoe. I must write a shoe post sometime.

Gizmo said...

Yes, you totally look like a dodgy Irish person - LOL!!

Personally I think you made a good call on the book, but I love shoes, no the book! yeah, eh I think so!!

(How odd, I already seem to have a blogspot login!!!)

Valerie said...

Aoife - very proud of you - I know how difficult it must have been to leave those shoes behind!

Hope the travelling is still going well...

Lemonjelly said...

I love a good shoe shot...

(also recovering\converting dormant blogger accounts :-))

Lookin' forward to arrivals posts...

eefa said...

To be honest it's not even that I was expecting the book to be fantastic it was more the thought of not having a spare book at all that was freaking me! BTW Mormoltier, you sprang to mind when I bought those shoes; I always associate that style with yourself :-)