Saturday, 8 September 2007

What not to do...

when searching for somewhere to live in Wellington... Don't be me. It's very simple really.
If you're me then that probably means that you're a little bit fussy. You probably have certain standards, expect a certain level of quietness, cleaness, have expectations over location and quality of furniture and fittings etc. This is not a good thing when looking for a furnished 2 bedroom place to live in Wellington :-(
After a chaotic week of seeing places and still having nowhere to live I'm taking a weekend off from all this. Well I did go to look at a semi-furnished place early this afternoon. Now I know that one should never judge a book by its cover but picture the scene...
I'm walking up a hill noticing the somewhat drab houses on way up. But I think to myself that hey, over here you can have a lovely house next to drab house.
I get to house I'm looking at - well I'm looking at the upstairs flat.
I admire the "curtains" of the flat underneath the one I'm going to look at; I've always found that a draped sheet with a bit piece of cardboard is a very classy look... NOT!! But not being one to judge a book a by its covers I go upstairs for a look. I look. I leave.

On a more positive note had yet another lovely breakfast (same location as well week, though eggs not quite as good as last week) followed by half a chocolate brownie. I know I know, a brownie after breakfast is all wrong, but it was gone midday so... Introduced to cool little music shop that has second hand and new CDs all mixed in together. Two purchases :-) I have another CD that I have to get but that store is close to office so that purchase can wait until Monday. Remainder of afternoon spent chilling in sun chatting and soaking up sun rays. All very relaxing. Oh and I now have 13 bagels i must go slice before freezing... oh joy...

2 comments:

Paul said...

I don’t think you should confuse your standards (which we all know and love ;) with those you’ve been applying to the apparent shanty town you’ve been viewing apartments in. Frankly, when it comes to sheet and cardboard curtains, God made book covers for a reason!

eefa said...

In fairness that was by far the worst place I've looked at. Have also discarded places where second bedroom has no window. Where place just too large (and a bit out). Where kitchen consisted of worktop area with only 2 rings (did you know single people don't cook?!). Where the road below is access point for the boy racers. Etc etc etc. But there is hope... there must be!!