Thursday, 25 October 2007

Packs and things

No, still no internet at home so scribbling this at work. Had lovely 3 day long weekend for the weekend just past. I was pretty whacked by Fri so I had a lovely early night on Fri evening after a dose of Morse. Saturday I headed off my long planned day in the spa where I thoroughly enjoyed my massage followed by facial followed by body exfoliation followed by Vichy shower. Lunch after that and then manicure and pedicure. I could live without the latter two treatments. I mean I go to these things not to come out looking good but for the pure relaxation of it all and that was obtained from the pre-lunch treatments. The back massage was much needed but I believe that I really need some more serious treatment on neck/back. I'm really missing my regular visits to Carolyn my physical therapist back in Dublin :-( Probably doesn't help that I haven't found a decent pilates class to attend yet either.

Sunday was a really glorious day. Got lots done like buying apartment stuff (basic things like a lighter so I could light candles!), nice bedroom stuff, a vase (so flowers no longer in hiking flask etc :-) ). I even got a bit red in the face just from my walk in the morning and pottering about outside in the afternoon. A work colleague invited a bunch of us over for dinner on Sun evening where we had some wonderful Indian vegetarian food. I left there quite full :-)

Mon was just lazy. Read lots. Bought some lamps bla bla. Nothing exciting. Oh, what I did do though was finally buy a rucksack so I can't put off going tramping any longer! Jeez I had no idea that these things were quie so technical! I had been advised to do at least two things:
  • Buy a Macpac brand
  • Make sure it's got a good harness
So, in I go in to one of the numerous outdoor shops here in Wellington. I explain that I haven't owned a proper rucksack for tramping before (i.e. I've no idea what i'm doing or how to use the harness properly) but I need to get one. Mac (well after 45 mins I knew his name) shows me the Esprit which is designed specifically for women. Macpac have just updated their range of packs so new materials, harnesses etc so new prices too. So where as I? Oh yes, Mac shows me pack and then goes but this is a bit expensive (at $575 I didn't disagree) but look there's one of the old range and it's a size 2 and it's 70L. Yes, apparently I'm a size 2 in rucksacks. Spend about 15 mins adjusting, putting weights in walking about etc an dcome to the conclusion that it's not for me. Shoulders hurting within mins of weights going in yet apparently it's correctly adjusted. Mac then says that he thinks I'd be better off with a smaller pack because of my petite frame (I'm not sure that at 173cm I can be described as petite but hey I wasn't complaining), say something like 60L. The problem is that on tramps you have to carry your own gear and some shared gear so that just wouldn't be big enough. End up trying on the one he initially pointed out (that's 65L) - just to compare, and well, the difference was phenomenal! Seriously! Even with the weights in it was so much more comfortable. So, to cut a much longer story a bit shorter, I ended up getting that but I did get a 10% discount so happy enough. As I said to him, I wasn't going to buy the first one no matter what as it wasn't comfortable and if my shoulder was hurting with 7kg in after 10 mins how would I feel after a day with 15-20kg! We both had a good laugh at the fact that the new harness can carry a load of up to 40kg before comfort is affected... as if I'd even get it off the ground - almost as heavy as me for God's sake!! So at the end of the day the newbie has one of the latest packs on the market. Hoping to put it to good use on non club tramp with Dave weekend after next. Apparently I'll have to carry my "fair share" which I don't dispute but it's good to know that should it all get too much for me...

Second tango class this evening....
End of ramble!

No comments: