Tuesday, 4 March 2008

Which time zone??

After a rather long journey I made it back to Dublin. I left my apt in Wellington at 7:30am Sunday morning Kiwi time (that's 6:30pm Sat evening Irish time) and headed off airport. No delays nor nothing unexpected at Wellington or Auckland airports. I was flying with Korean Air and had read a bit about their seats so wasn't overly surprised to see that seat incline wasn't particularly great, about 60 degrees if I remember correctly. But at least seat was relatively spacious and excellent leg room. Got nicely excited when I look at the entertainment magazine and saw some movies that I wanted to watch - Juno, Atonement etc. Somewhat disappointed with the TV show offerings. Other airlines tend to offer a series of House or Boston Legal or something like that and i love the short shows as allow me to snooze in between. None of that. Anyway... can you imagine my shock when after we took off the steward comes over and opens a page of the entertainment guide and tells me that I can choose from that page. This was a page with about 13 channels on it (9 movie) and basically each channel showed a movie or a short and it just looped around. In short, it wasn't Video On Demand! I was stunned. I was then more stunned to see that June and Atonement were offerings on the From Seoul leg not the To Seoul leg. But in fairness I watched two good movies - In the Valley of Elah and American Gangster. I went for a walk/stroll a few times to stretch out back and quickly realised how lucky I was... in economy class they didn't even have individual screens on their chairs. Apart from Aer Lingus this is the only airline I've been on (I'm sure there are others) where all seats don't have their own screen.

We arrived in Seoul not long after 8pm Sun evening (that would have been 1am Mon morning Kiwi time and midday Sunday Irish time) and I was checked in to my hotel for hte night by 9pm. I amazed myself by staying up until gone 10:30 local time. Just reading, watching tv etc. It was lovely to have a bed to sleep in I have to admit. I went for a walk around the place the next morning but as Inchon airport is artificial island (I was on it in the 90s when it was a building site!) whose sold purpose is to be an airport there's not a lot of interest to see. But it's a busy place with big roads and hotels and stuff. It was cold out... about 3 or 4 degrees I'd say. I know it's cold here in Ireland right now (and trust me on this, it is!) it was a very dry cold. Rather refreshing though my ears were freezing :) I would have liked to have taken a few pics but as camera was packed with luggage...

Bigger plane for the leg to Frankfurt so seats reclined more (like the Malaysia Airlines ones do) and there was video on demand. I watched Juno and Lions for Lambs. Didn't watch Atonement as I'll be more limited on my return flight when it's not on demand so saving that one. It was a long old day iwth it being gone 5pm German time by time we landed (that's 1am Korean time, 4pm Irish and 5am Kiwi). Last leg of flight was due to be at 8:25pm but actually it was 9:40 before we took off. I have to admit to being fairly disgusted with Aer Lingus as no announcement was made of the delay until about 30 mins before flight was originally scheduled to depart and that was just announcement of time. No apology, no explanation, nothing. I was dead lucky though in Dublin in that for once my luggage came through really quick. About 3rd case on to the carousel so between plane doors opening and me getting in to arrivals hall, only about 15 mins passed! I was well chuffed :) Collected by the bro and girlfriend and home by about 11:40!

So yes, now I'm back. It's pretty cold here folks. Not sure I'm liking it that much, but at least we have central heating here :) I just unpacked earlier, mainly because I have to sort my stuff as I'll be packing again tomorrow for trip to UK on Thurs! Ah yes... the weary life of the jet setter... :)