Tuesday, 9 March 2010

A Sunday in the Snow

Hmm... okay so it's been 3 or 4 weeks since my last posting so it's not quite frequent but if I can manage 1 a month then that can't be too bad can it??

Ridiculously busy at work at the moment so in true Aoife style my sleeping patterns are a little shot but expecting them to settle back to "normal" fairly soon.

Outside of work it's been a little surprising in that we've had some rather beautiful weather here the last couple of weeks! It's still very cold (at least one if not two bottles of water required to defrost windscreen in the mornings) but sunny and bright! It reminds me of New Zealand, this lack of grey clouds in the sky. Loving it! So, in an effort to make the most of this weather I've managed to get for two consecutive Sundays. Admittedly, Sunday week ago was no hike, rather leisurely stroll (with cameras of course) from Dun Laoghaire to Killiney and back and the Sunday just gone I went to the other extreme as six of us hiked up Lugnaquilla.

Lugnaquilla is the highest mountain in Leinster (about 800m I think). Okay, before any Kiwis jump in, I know that's not high by New Zealand standards :) Six of us headed out and while I expected a bit of snow at the top I wasn't expecting it to be fully covered in snow.

Snowy Plains

This was the view as we started to descend and if you turned around and looked back.

In fact, as Dave pointed out at one point, it was perfect conditions for crampons!

Snowy Plains


For someone who hadn't been out on a proper hike since last October it was a little challenging to say the least... I don't like being the last person in the group! But to be honest, the first couple of hours until we got to the top were the toughest for me but once there we had our lunch in the snow!

Lunchtime at the Top


The rest of the afternoon consisting of the descent and a smaller ascent and descent were very leisurely in comparison to the morning. And the sun was just lovely :)
IMG_0215


Oh and one more, can't resist... the boys enjoy a mid afternoon break...
Sunday Rest


Looking forward to a very leisurely and lazy weekend in Mayo this weekend... no mountains or snow for me :)

... and based on the fact that this is the second time that I've had to wring my clothes after taking them out of the washing machine makes me think that the weekend after next I could be buying a new washing machine :(

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Looks fantastic, enjoy the nice weather and keep the posts coming.