Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Painting and the non appearance of our Windows

We’ve taken this week of work.  It’s our holidays.  What we’re doing for our holidays is painting.  Oh and we did take Tuesday and tomorrow (thursday)  to do some fun stuff.  We were also looking forward to our side bay windows windows which were due to to be fitted today.  At least we were looking forward to it until we were looking forward to it until I got a phone call at 10am yesterday morning informing me that “there is some bad news”.  To which I immediately responded saying that the windows had to go in this week as we have the previously postponed insulation company due to start new week and I have the guy for the flooring booked in for the week of 15th Sept.  And I can’t be cancelling them again.  Which is of course all well and good but if, as it turns out, ones windows are still in Denmark and won’t be leaving said country until this coming Friday there’s bugger all that I can do about it.  Needless to say I’m less than impressed.  For a start we ordered these windows in June.  And they arrived at the end of July… and at that point everybody realised that there was an issue with the size of the side bays (they’re each 2 inches too narrow!).  Unfortunately, even though this was not our fault, we would have to wait another 6 weeks (make that 8.5 weeks!) for the correct ones to arrive as Rationel shuts down for 3 weeks for hollers.  Isn’t life grand?  Anyway, clearly there’s no guarantee that this won’t happen again this week but right now there’s nothing we can do except hope that they are shipped this Fri and arrive post haste!      

 

So in the meantime we’ve been painting.  We now have a fully painted kitchen and living area.  First coats in front room and the hall way too and three coats on the window wall in the bathroom (this is a different colour to the other walls hence only it being done).  The plumber was out today so we now have a kitchen tap, an installed dishwasher and the hob and oven are in place (the latter is not wired up).

A Kitchen Tap

The kitchen fitter is back out on Friday afternoon (hopefully that won’t be postponed) for finishing touches.  Still waiting for the electrician to get back to me as to when he can come out - reckon I’ll give him a buzz tomorrow (it’s our day off… off to the National Stud and Japanese Gdns :) )  Unfortunately the plumber will be back to tomorrow as we need a new boiler :(  Well that’s not true, we could replace the fan on the existing one but that is nearly the third of the cost of a new one and as we’ve no idea how old the current one is and it’s apparently not a great model so we decided to take the hit now and get rid of it while we’re still a work in progress house.

 

Front Room Painting

Friday, 22 August 2014

Continued Painting

There really has been very little to report over the last while hence the silence on here. The kitchen worktop went in a few weeks back... a lovely quartz worktop that I'm v happy with. We're continuing to have a dilemna over wall tiles, tiles for behind the hob and the floor tiles. The real difficulty with the tiles is finding something that will go with both the worktop and the cupboards; harder than we thought! As the worktop has upstands we're now considering no wall tiles other than around than hob. We still have to find something we like and that could work but... Floor tile wise we have a sample of a dark grey tile which is actually v nice but the kitchen is so darl that I can't help wondering if a lighter tile would be better. But unlike the lighter tile the dark tile helps add some contrast to the space. Bit of a dilemna! Earlier this week I was having a look online at coloured glass specialists. It'll be a while before we can afford to change the glass panes around the door but it was fun to have a look and get some ideas. We're off work next week so hoping to pay a visit to Rathmines Glass. I really quite like this one though as it still allows lots of light through. As our front door is north facing this is important to me. Painting wise we're making progress. It probably doesn't seem like we're going anywhere fast but it's three coats per ceiling and per wall and we have jobs so it's down to one day at the weekend and an hour or two one or two evenings a week. We finished ceilings a few weeks ago and are still working on the kitchen living space. Plenty yet to do - the kitchen is taking forever as everything has to be taped up before each paint. If the tape is going over paint then we take it off at the end of that painting session too which means retaping before the next painting session! Our windows, the correct sized ones(!) are due for fitting next Wednesday or Thursday so the insulation company are lined up to start the week of the 1st Sept and Mike is lined up to start our parquet floor downstairs the week of the 15th. It'll be good to see some real progress happing again. The mess with the windows (not our fault!) really put a hammer in the works time wise!!